Careers at Phaidon
The Phaidon family of companies — Phaidon, The Monacelli Press, and Artspace — are devoted to celebrating and showcasing the creative arts through our growing publishing programs and e-commerce marketplace platforms. In each of our companies, we offer career opportunities to curious, creative, and independent individuals who share our passion for art, design, architecture, and popular culture.
Phaidon is the premier global publisher of the creative arts with over 1,500 titles in print. We work with the world's most influential artists, chefs, writers, and thinkers to produce innovative books on art, photography, design, architecture, fashion, food, and travel, and illustrated books for children. Phaidon is headquartered in New York and London, with offices in Paris and Berlin. Phaidon books are sold in a wide variety of sales channels, bookstores, and specialty shops, retail and online around the world.
The Monacelli Press, a leading publisher of illustrated books for twenty-five years, challenges the conventions of publishing to produce some of the most provocative, inspiring, and essential titles on architecture, visual art, interior design, landscape architecture, and photography. A separate imprint, Monacelli Studio, was founded in 2015 and focuses on the applied arts, adding art instruction, photography technique, and crafts to the publisher's growing list of books. In 2020, Monacelli joined the Phaidon family of companies.
Publisher – The Monacelli Press (New York)
We are seeking an experienced Publisher for Tthe Monacelli Press, a global leader in Art, Architecture, Interior Design, and Gardens / Landscape. Monacelli is a division of Phaidon Global.
The Monacelli Publisher will shape the editorial program of 25-30 illustrated books a year, and manage four - five in house editors. The Publisher will supervise key aspects of book-making from budget approval, acquisition, and contract negotiation. Working closely with the Director of Production, the Publisher will oversee editorial schedules from early concepts to publication. The Publisher will also acquire and publish 1-3 new titles per year.
Core responsibilities include
- Defining the vision for the overall Monacelli publishing program and developing editorial pipeline with the editorial team
- Working closely with authors, and talent, and the team to develop successful books
- Supporting the Director of Production on schedules, editorial oversight, and reviewing material at key stages throughout the process
- In collaboration with the editors and freelancers, overseeing layout, design, style, and tone
- Working with marketing, publicity, digital, production, and management to ensure success of the Monacelli program
- Representing Monacelli at industry events and launches
The ideal candidate will have successfully hands-on editorial experience in illustrated book publishing, preferably in areas close to Monacelli’s editorial focus
Please apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline - May 31st, 2023.
Phaidon employs people based on their abilities and experience. We treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally and aim to attract and develop talent from a wide range of backgrounds and identities to reflect our diverse, international audience.
Commissioning Editor – Art Surveys (London)
An exciting opportunity has arisen in our London office for an editor with strong commercial acumen, a collaborative approach, and an art-history background. Working closely with the Publisher, you will be responsible for commissioning and creating some of our most popular and wide-ranging art surveys, identifying and bringing to fruition books for a broad and global readership.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Identifying commercially attractive ideas for art surveys and taking them successfully through the acquisition process
- Sourcing and commissioning the perfect team of contributors
- Project managing your books, working closely with relevant in-house and freelance staff as necessary
- Working in partnership with the Editorial, Design, and Production teams to ensure your books are created on time and within budget
- Liaising with the Marketing and Sales teams to help your projects exceed their potential.
You will have experience of publishing in the visual arts, outstanding organizational and communication abilities, proven skills in multi-contributor or complex project management, and confidence when both working within a team and with autonomy. You will have a dedication to excellence and accuracy, and a talent for building excellent relationships. Experience in illustrated book publishing is desirable for this role, as is knowledge of InDesign.
All applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK. Phaidon employs people based on their abilities and experience. We treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally and aim to attract and develop talent from a wide range of backgrounds and identities to reflect our diverse, international audience.
To apply, please send your full CV, with a cover letter for the attention of Deborah Aaronson, to email@example.com before 16 June.