Careers at Phaidon
The Phaidon family of companies — Phaidon, The Monacelli Press, and Artspace — are devoted to celebrating and showcasing the creative arts through our growing publishing programs and e-commerce marketplace platforms. In each of our companies, we offer career opportunities to curious, creative, and independent individuals who share our passion for art, design, architecture, and popular culture.
Phaidon is the premier global publisher of the creative arts with over 1,500 titles in print. We work with the world's most influential artists, chefs, writers, and thinkers to produce innovative books on art, photography, design, architecture, fashion, food, and travel, and illustrated books for children. Phaidon is headquartered in New York and London, with offices in Paris and Berlin. Phaidon books are sold in a wide variety of sales channels, bookstores, and specialty shops, retail and online around the world.
The Monacelli Press, a leading publisher of illustrated books for twenty-five years, challenges the conventions of publishing to produce some of the most provocative, inspiring, and essential titles on architecture, visual art, interior design, landscape architecture, and photography. A separate imprint, Monacelli Studio, was founded in 2015 and focuses on the applied arts, adding art instruction, photography technique, and crafts to the publisher's growing list of books. In 2020, Monacelli joined the Phaidon family of companies.
Artspace.com is the leading online marketplace for contemporary art. We offer our customers the opportunity to discover and collect art from leading artists, galleries, and cultural institutions across the globe. Our team is full of innovative individuals with a mission to create best-in-class experiences and bring art into the lives of all.
Project Editor, (London)
Closing date: Wednesday July 18 2021
A vacancy has arisen in our London office for an editor to project manage titles on Phaidon’s General Interest list, which includes popular culture, science, gardens, and photography. Working closely with the Publisher and Commissioning Editor, the editor will be involved in all aspects of book creation, from the early stages of commissioning through to hand-over to production. This will include commissioning and assessing texts, editing, picture management, managing budgets and schedules, as well as supervising proofreaders and outside editors. The editor will liaise extensively with photographers, freelance and consultant editors, authors, picture researchers, graphic designers and Phaidon's production team.
Substantial and proven complex project-management experience (including content development and research, editing, budget management, and InDesign skills) is essential, along with a dedication to excellence and accuracy, and a talent for building strong relationships with others. The successful candidate will also have a demonstrable knowledge of and passion for the areas covered by this role.
We are looking to work with talented people based on their abilities and we would particularly welcome applications from candidates from currently under-represented groups in book publishing. Book publishing experience is certainly valued, but not an essential requirement.
When applying, please include details of any specialist skills or subject knowledge you may have. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an online interview and asked to complete an editorial test, which can be done at home.
To apply, please email a full CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK.
Press Officer (London)
Reporting to the Head of Press, UK & Export, we are seeking an exceptional Press Officer. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with publicity experience to contribute ideas and passion to a small and friendly team based in Stratford (E15), London.
Responsibilities will include planning and implementing impactful, creative and intelligent publicity campaigns, incorporating both traditional print and broadcast media and online outlets, preparing mail-outs to media, assisting with departmental administration and reporting on UK & export campaigns.
- Implementing publicity campaigns with a focus on UK and international markets outside North America
- Working closely with colleagues in the US and our European offices, sharing campaign ideas and strategies
- Working with wider marketing and sales teams (such as reps, marketing, social media, and website) to ensure press campaigns are integrated with them and deliver the objectives set
- Building relationships directly with authors
- Attending regular journalist meetings and growing your network of contacts
- Managing departmental and personal administration
- Assisting organising and implementing high-profile author events
- Have a strong network of media contacts and previous experience in PR
- Be proactive – someone who seeks out new opportunities and comes up with fresh ideas
- Be creative in your campaign ideas and planning
- Be organised and have excellent attention to detail
- Have exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Be a problem solver
- Minimum of 3 years’ PR experience either in-house or agency
- An interest and passion for the subjects that Phaidon publish and a specialist interest in any one or more of these subjects
- A strong understanding and proven interest in digital and social media
- Experience of organising events and PR tours
All applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK. Please apply by email to email@example.com with the following:
- A CV
- A supporting statement explaining how your experience relates to this role (maximum 500 words)
- A description of a press campaign that you have led, including top three campaign objectives and outcomes (maximum 500 words)
Closing date: 1 August 2021