Preparation: 1 1/4 hrs, plus 1 hr standing and cooling
Cooking: 45 minutes
Serves: 6 people
185g / 61/2 oz (1 1/2 cups) plain/all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
120g / 4 oz (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus extra for greasing
100g / 3 3/4 oz (1/2 cup) caster/superfine sugar
1 egg yolk
grated rind of 1/2 lemon
300g / 11 oz (2 cups) sour cherries, stoned
350g / 12 oz (1 ½ cups) ricotta cheese
- Sift the flour into a mound, make a well in the centre, add the butter, half the sugar, the egg yolk and the lemon rind and mix well.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap and leave to stand for 1 hour.
- Put the cherries in a pan with 4 tablespoons water and the remaining sugar and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and dust a tart tin.
- Place the ricotta in a bowl. Drain the cherries and stir them into the ricotta.
- Halve the pastry and roll out one piece on a lightly floured surface to a 5mm / ¼ inch thick round.
- Line the prepared tin and sprinkle the ricotta mixture on top.
- Roll out the remaining pastry, cut into strips and make a lattice on top of the tart. Arrange the remaining pastry strips around the side and press lightly to seal.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave to cool.