1 1/4 hrs, plus 1 hr standing and cooling
185g / 61/2 oz (1 1/2 cups) plain/all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
120g / 4 oz (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus extra for greasing
100g / 3 3/4 oz (1/2 cup) caster/superfine sugar
1 egg yolk
grated rind of 1/2 lemon
300g / 11 oz (2 cups) sour cherries, stoned
350g / 12 oz (1 ½ cups) ricotta cheese
- Sift the flour into a mound, make a well in the centre, add the butter, half the sugar, the egg yolk and the lemon rind and mix well.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap and leave to stand for 1 hour.
- Put the cherries in a pan with 4 tablespoons water and the remaining sugar and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and dust a tart tin.
- Place the ricotta in a bowl. Drain the cherries and stir them into the ricotta.
- Halve the pastry and roll out one piece on a lightly floured surface to a 5mm / ¼ inch thick round.
- Line the prepared tin and sprinkle the ricotta mixture on top.
- Roll out the remaining pastry, cut into strips and make a lattice on top of the tart. Arrange the remaining pastry strips around the side and press lightly to seal.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
HOME OF THE VISUAL ARTS
Phaidon is the premier global publisher of the creative arts with over 1,500 titles in print. We work with the world's most influential artists, chefs, writers and thinkers to produce innovative books on art, photography, design, architecture, fashion, food and travel, and illustrated books for children. Phaidon is headquartered in London and New York City. Read more
Contact the sales team
Submitting a book proposal
Careers at Phaidon